Remember when people used to dress up to fly? No? Me neither — that was long before my time. Nowadays, most trips to the airport feel like an extended episode of What Not to Wear. And while it's certainly fun to observe the eclectic runway of fashion misfires, I for one prefer to wear real pants when I fly (or any time I'm in public, for that matter).
No, you won't find me teetering around in high heels or squeezing into a pencil skirt for a six-hour flight, but I do like to make somewhat of an effort to not look like I just rolled out of bed (even if I did).
Here are my necessities:
- Dark skinny jeans with a moderate amount of stretch — cute but comfy on the plane.
- Several layers of shirts (tank, long-sleeve, sweater) — for easy changing upon arrival.
- Mid-sized purse with carry-on necessities.
- Ballet flats.
- Sunglasses — make fun of me if you will, but fluorescent lights suck at 5 a.m. Plus, it's great for people-watching.
- Massive scarf — doubles as a blanket on the plane.
- Lipstick — makes any outfit look more pulled together.