Friday, September 23, 2011

mag hound.


I have a serious weakness for magazines. I probably shouldn't admit this, but most of the time I'd rather curl up with the latest issue of Saveur or Travel + Leisure than a book. I've talked before about my regretfully short attention span, but at the same time there's some solid reading to be had in magazines, if you look beyond Cosmo.

I briefly mentioned Maghound a few months ago, and it's since become one of my favorite things. It allows me to subscribe to a ton of magazines for a ridiculously cheap rate, and I can add or drop subscriptions whenever I want, which has helped me pinpoint my truly favorite publications.

Right now I'm subscribed to 10 magazines for $13.45 a month. I've realized that most fashion mags bore me and fitness mags are repetitive, and I find most of the home inspiration I want on blogs like Design Sponge and Apartment Therapy. My favorite magazines tend to put the focus on food and travel. Besides the first two magazines I mentioned, I'm currently subscribed to Bon Appetit, Esquire, New York Magazine, Martha Stewart Living, Everyday Food, Better Homes and Gardens, This Old House, and Traveler.

The only problem? I'm struggling to keep up. I've got a pile beside my bed that I need to read, including three issues of Wired (I just unsubscribed). I also have the hardest time throwing them away after I've read them, even though I'll probably never look at them again. Anyone want my old issues?

What are your favorite magazines?

4 comments:

  1. Save your Bon Appetit for me please! If you want to pass them on that is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove magazines. But I even love fashion magazines. I happily read Elle, Vogue, Glamour and Marie Claire every month. Plus The Sun, The Atlantic, Poets and Writers, and some other fun stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've still got the Gourmet magazines Mrs. Johnson, my very FAVORITE English teacher gave me back in 1970/1. I really should scan those and post them somewhere. Nobody makes magazines like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a magazine junkie as well. One of the perks of my job is that all the magazines for the hospital waiting rooms come to me. I bring armfuls home, read them overnight and bring them back the next day. It is wonderful.

    If you ever really want to get rid of any, Roper and St. Francis can use them. The waiting rooms are black holes for magazines.

    ReplyDelete