Sunday, August 21, 2011

new york.

The prospect of fall always makes me think of New York. When Todd was working as an admissions counselor while I was still in school, I drove through the night to see him there one October. I arrived just as rush hour was beginning, knocked on his door as the sun rose, and promptly fell asleep. It was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever done, but it's one of our favorite stories.

He ditched most of his appointments and we explored the city for a few days. We did some touristy things (Empire State Building, Times Square, boat tour), ate some amazing food, and walked around for hours, but we barely scratched the surface of the city. When I went back a few months later with some of my college newspaper editors for a conference, we did even less, stuck in a dingy hotel in a dingy area, the city covered in icy sludge.

With our anniversary coming up in a few months (!), New York is on the top of our potential trip list, provided we have the funds. I've changed so much since my college years, one of the main things being I've learned to travel well, to plan a trip, to map out our meals and appreciate good food, to explore the lesser-known areas, and to take a rest when we need it. I want to return to New York with a grown-up itinerary.  

images via Pinterest.
 

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to visit New York with all the Christmas displays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get those funds together! I remember being scared, you driving up there. I knew it was out of my hands. Nice reading more.
    Might be B&W, but the old movie about the little match book girl. Talking about Christmas displays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. Lately I've been thinking about New York City non stop. Sort of wish it wasn't so far away. I'd love to visit. It's been a few years since I've been.

    ReplyDelete