Monday, November 29, 2010

newlywed phase interrupted.

Todd and I had a serious house fire this weekend. We've been overwhelmed (in a good way) by all of the support from friends and family — it's helped make this time a bit easier.

Luckily, we were at home and awake when it started — had we been gone or asleep, we probably would have lost everything. Apparently the fire started with the hot water heater. We're not exactly sure what got it going. It spread across three rooms in the back of the house — those rooms are almost completely destroyed. The kitchen was also seriously damaged from the smoke, heat, and water. Luckily, our living room, dining room, and bedrooms suffered nothing more than smoke damage. We lost a lot in the fire, including a lot of our wedding gifts and our beloved bikes, but luckily no real necessities. We stupidly did not have renter's insurance.

We moved out of the house the next day with the help of an amazing group of friends. Within a matter of hours everything was out of the house and packed into Todd's brother's garage. We're currently staying at Daniel's house and trying to figure out where to move next. We're still hoping to be approved for one of the Cottages, now more than ever.

Now, will everyone please go check their smoke detectors? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment