Thursday, February 6, 2014
Winter has always depressed me a little, even when I lived in Charleston, where the winter months are sprinkled with beautiful 70-degree days. So it's a little shocking that (knock on wood) I have yet to feel those winter blues here in Boston, where I'm trudging through the most brutal winter of my life. What gives? I guess I've finally figured out a few ways to make the most of it. Here are my tips.
1. Get outside. Yes, it's cold, but bundle up and head out for some fresh air and vitamin D at least once a day. I'm convinced that my 15-minute walks to and from work are a big part of my improved mood.
2. Get cookin'. Pour yourself a glass of wine, turn on some music, and work your way through a favorite cookbook or all those recipes you've been pinning. I've discovered a treasure trove of cookbooks at my library, and I've been downloading them on my Kindle, too. Currently reading Gwyneth's new one.
3. Escape reality. Catch up on your magazines, read a book (I'm in the midst of reviewing this one), and binge watch your favorite TV shows. We've been watching True Blood, Justified, and Downton Abbey.
4. Plan a trip. Give yourself something to look forward to, whether it be a mid-winter weekend escape or a you-survived-the-season reward.
5. Dress for it. You may look like the Michelin Man with all those puffy layers, but you'll be warm and happy whether you're lounging in slippers and sweatpants or traipsing around in snow boots.
P.S. I was in the middle of writing this post when I noticed Cup of Jo's post on the same topic. Great minds.