Thursday, January 9, 2014

Weathering Winter.

Under Over

I may still be a New England newbie, but I've already picked up a thing or two about surviving frigid temperatures. I've got a 15-minute walk from the bus stop to my office each morning, and I've learned that with the proper attire, even single-digit temperatures can be bearable. It's funny how we adapt, isn't it? 

1. I live in leggings lately, wearing them under my jeans on cold days then sleeping in them at night. The fleece-lined ones are the absolute best, and they even make wearing skirts an option (though my rule is it has to be above freezing for skirts).
2. Socks, duh. But they've got to be good, thick socks. 
3. In Charleston, I wore cardigans all winter (often without a coat), but here they just don't feel warm enough. On the coldest days, I wear a chunky crew-neck with a thermal underneath.
4. Thick, touchscreen-friendly gloves are a must. I've heard that it works to double up with mittens. I haven't gone that far yet. 
5. Leather boots just don't cut it in the snow and slush. My rubber-soled, shearling-lined Sperrys were the best gift I got this Christmas (I got the red). 
6. I always wore scarves as decoration, but here they'll protect your face from the cold, not to mention sick people on public transportation. I prefer super long, chunky scarves — if you don't look like you're wearing a neck brace, you're doing something wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment