Sunday, April 21, 2013

mexico withdrawal.



It's been more than a week since we returned from Mexico, but I still wake up expecting to see the sun rising over the ocean outside my window. That's how I started every day, uncharacteristically waking up at 6 a.m. to slide open the balcony doors and let the salty breeze in, then calling room service for a big breakfast to be delivered to our room. We drank Mexican coffee and ate pastries in fluffy robes. I've never been so spoiled in my life.

We stayed at an all-inclusive resort just outside of the fishing village of Puerto Morelos. I researched resorts obsessively before buying the tickets. My criteria: Oceanfront, infinity pools, multiple dining options, swim-up bar, good reviews. The Now Jade Resort delivered on most fronts, though the food was sometimes lacking.

We rented a car, which I'd highly recommend. It cost $60 for the week, less than the price most shuttles will charge just to take you to your hotel. This allowed us to go where we wanted when we wanted. No waiting on cabs, no packing into tour buses with a bunch of drunk Canadians. The roads were clearly marked, and we felt very safe, even when we drove down a dirt road to a remote spa in the jungle.

Highlights of the trip: Massages at said spa, exploring the ruins at Tulum, fish tacos and margaritas on the beach in Puerto Morelos, bargaining for beautiful Mexican blankets at the market, and paddling around the stunning Siete Bocas cenote on the Cenote Trail. Although it was great just hanging out by the pool, I'm so glad we left the resort and got to know the Riviera Maya.

If you're planning a trip to Mexico and you have questions, please feel free to ask!

Mayan ruins at Tulum

More Tulum

 These monstrous lizards were everywhere!

I ate a lot of fish and shrimp tacos. A lot.

Deep thoughts with Todd: Beach or pool? Rum runner or mojito?

1 comment: