Over the last few years, I've accepted the fact that I'm completely predictable when it comes to getting dressed in the morning. I look past about 75 percent of my wardrobe and reach for the same few pieces that I really love to wear. My typical uniform may not be worthy of a street style snap, but I generally feel comfortable and confident in my clothes, and I wish I'd embraced this style of dressing years ago. Here are the 10 pieces that get the most wear in my wardrobe.
1. J. Crew's Toothpick Jeans — These jeans have been my go-to for a couple of years. I own four pairs in different colors, but the black is my favorite—I wear them at least three days a week.
2. Target Odell Leopard Ballet Flats — At just $15, I usually buy these flats two pairs at a time. They're lightweight, super comfortable, and they add a bit of pattern to my mostly solid wardrobe.
3. Madewell Slub V-Neck Pocket T — I've bought many V-necks over the years, but I love this fit so much I got it in at least half a dozen colors.
4. Vintage Leather Coach Purse — I found this at a thrift store years ago and have been carrying it ever since. I'm always browsing for new bags, but I can never find anything that I love more than this classic piece.
5. Flannel Shirts — In the colder months, I wear flannel almost daily. The above shirt is a favorite from J. Crew (last season), but I've found great (and much more affordable) flannel shirts at Old Navy and Forever 21.
Derek Cardigan 7021 Glasses — I've gotten so many compliments on these glasses over the years, and I love the subtle punctuation marks.
7. Striped Shirt — You didn't think I could do this roundup without including a striped shirt, did you? I rarely invest a lot in these because they get so much wear. I've found good ones at H&M, Target, and J. Crew Factory.
8. Aerie Undies — TMI? Too bad. I spent years searching for a pair of undies that were cute, fit well, and didn't cost a ridiculous amount. These are my favorites, even if they do come from a teen store. I buy them five pairs at a time.
9. Grey Grandpa Cardigans — Nope, they're not remotely sexy, but long, grey cardigans see a lot of play around here. I usually find them at The Gap and wear them until they fall apart.
Forever21 Cat-eye Sunglasses — My sunglasses get a lot of abuse, so I skip the expensive brands and buy them in bulk at Forever21. Most pairs cost around $6, so it doesn't matter if they eventually get scratched or broken in the bottom of my bag.